‘Google Alerts’ is still on Beta but proves to be a very handy tool. Google Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant Google results (web, news, etc.) based on your choice of query or topic. Some handy uses of Google Alerts include:
* monitoring what’s being said about your company or brand online
* keeping current on a competitor or industry
* keeping tabs on your favourite sports teams
* Keeping tabs on backlinks to your blog (also available on google webmastertools)
* Keeping tabs on contents of comments in your blog
* and more
You can use a combination of more advanced features of Google Web Search to setup your Alerts.
A good example of brand monitoring is this blog post “What Are They Saying About You Online?” by Michael Hyatt in his Intentional Leadership Blog.