As usual this post is a self help note, but as it’s public I hope it helps someone else. If you want to open .eps or .ps files with GIMP on Windows you will need to install Ghostscript (download it from http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/). After successful installation you will need to create an environment variable called GS_PROG on Windows. To do this just follow these steps:
- Right-click on the ‘My Computer‘ Icon and select properties
- Click on the advanced tab
- Click on Environment Variable button
- Under either User variables or System variables click on “New”
- Set Variable name : GS_PROG
- Set Variable path: C:\Progam Files\gs\gs864w32\bin\gswin32.exe – this is where yous gswin32.exe resides, make sure you type the correct path.
Click “OK” for everything and then open GIMP, you should now be able to open .eps and .ps files
Extra information: .EPS/PostScript (.PS) is a file that may contain 2D vector graphics, bitmap images, and text; includes an embedded preview image in bitmap format; often used for transferring image data between different operating systems. Adobe Illustrator, Acrobat, Photoshop or CorelDraw are the kind of programs that normally use/open these files.